Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Niche Markets

Have you ever gone to the Auction House to sell something you think might sell well, but when you get there don't see anything up? You may have found a niche market, and you don't even realize it. I found one of those this afternoon. I posted up the Hunter's Inks I got from milling low level herbs for glyphs. I posted all of them up at 7 gold, because why not?

All of them sold.

Every single one. I didn't understand why, but someone had bought up all of these seemingly insignificant inks, and I made 60 gold. Now 60 gold isn't a lot, but it's 60 more gold I didn't have before and 60 gold I wasn't expecting to have from those items. They can only craft two things: Mystic Tome and Mysterious Tarot. Personally I think that the tarot was crafted, since they are a quick and easy way to get Darkmoon Faire rep, often much cheaper than buying the higher level decks. I'm going to start selling all of the lower level inks that can produce tarots, and see how well they sell. If there is a consistent market, I may start buying more of these lower level herbs to craft my glyphs. We shall see in the next few days how this works out.

Niche markets can be a nice bonus to any AH goblin, resulting in many tiny trickles of gold that will all add up in the end. If I sold 100 of these, that would be 700 gold. At 5-10g per stack of herbs, and about 2 inks per stack, I would be making 4-9g per stack just from these rare inks. That would be a nice little addition to my glyph income, and every amount of income is appreciated by me.

Any niche markets you have found recently that you want to share with the gold-making community? Feel free to leave a comment below!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite niche market in recent memory is selling the materials used in crafting inscription relics. They are purchased in Twilight Highlands for a few gold and sell regularly for 100g each. I keep 5 stocked on the AH at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually seen that on the AH too. People charging 5x the cost to buy them on the AH, and people buy them. I cannot portal into TH because the portal broke when I faction changed, so I cannot partake in that haha

    ReplyDelete